Monday, May 19, 2008

in beijing!

Day 2 of my China experience!

Ok first impression was "wow". Everything here is spacious and artistic, from the huge and beautiful airport, to the widely-spaced and very creative architecture in the city. It's really very pretty. It's like there's alot of nature and breathing space, and at the same time pretty sights and interesting places. Something like the direct opposite of my impression of Manhattan :)

My first 2 hours at EY have been an eye-opener for me because I've never worked in a corporation, much less a Chinese corporation.

There were a total of 5 interns starting work today. 2 from Beijing, 1 from Hong Kong and 2 from Singapore (guess who!). After a cute little introduction session they brought us to our individual departments and gave us like stationery bags, laptops, lockers, etc. I'm working in a different place from the other interns but it's not too bad cos the managers here are very, very nice.

Oh and some things about corporate offices surprised me... they have lockers! haha so interesting! And all the rank-and-file workers sit in long rows on the office floor, mainly staring at their computer screens. Interesting... I expected more friendly chatter. I mean, how come people don't even talk to the person their facing? haha...

And yes the language barrier is making things... "interesting". :) I told my manager that I can't speak or write Chinese well, so apparently their still deciding what work to give me haha! I suspect I'll end up doing something mathematical (like tallying figures up), or be asked to deal with english-speaking clients.

Okie that's all for now! I'm still a bit worried about what the work will be like, but it's almost totally mitigated by the fact that the managers and nice and approachable. Photos another time :)

Beijing experience: day 2 of 70.

No comments: